Thursday 20 September 2012

Thursday's Thoughts #6

It all started last Friday night. Plans to chill with my buds fell through, so I took the blogosphere, searching for new tracks. Once I'd finished with that, I decided I'd finally check out Songza, the new playlist service I'd been hearing about all week. For those of you who don't know, Songza is a service that makes playlists for just about any activity, mood, etc. While it's a nifty service, I almost feel like it takes away from the fun of scouring SoundCloud and blogs, searching for your tracks and making your own playlist or even a mix. What I'm getting at is one of the things I love doing is making playlists and picking individual tracks for different moods. Songza just takes away that whole process and fun.
That really got me thinking...

Some may argue that they don't have time to sift through the internet and make playlists or mixes. The way I see it, if you don't have time to really give some attention to what you're listening to then you shouldn't be listening to music at all. Music shouldn't be played in the background, it should be what you're doing overall. Now while I myself play music in the background all the time, while doing chores, or exercising etc. What I'm getting at is that Songza kills a major part of music appreciation and listening. Even if you're looking for music to party to, you still have to appreciate the music, and I feel that you can't do that if you're just letting a computer do it all for you. Now while Songza's playlists are formulated by musicians and DJs, it still defeats the purpose. 

While I still thing Songza is a phenomenal service, it just takes away all the fun I have finding my music and making playlists. It does both at the same time instantly...

No comments:

Post a Comment