Thursday 16 August 2012

Thursday's Thoughts #3

I've got quite a bit on my mind this week. Although I've been pretty inconsistent with this segment it really comes down to whats on my mind and if theres nothing on my mind, no post. Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about the recent "EDM craze" that has swept the community. It's hard for me to tell if this swarm is just a spike in the music. For example, a few years ago when The Beatles Remastered came out, there was suddenly a giant spike in their popularity, but after a year or so, it stopped. My point is I'm starting to wonder if the same type of thing is happening to EDM or if people really are gaining interest in the genre. While I know that nothing lasts forever, and there are highs and lows regarding popularity, I think this is just a phase. I know for a fact that a lot of this hype is people jumping on the bandwagon. On a personal level I could name at least five people that have come up to me asked me things like "have you heard that one song by (insert Deadmau5, Avicii or Skrillex)". While the future for EDM may be a little hazy, it's clear that there are a number of artists who are ready to step up. In my opinion, the future of EDM sits in the hands of artists like Porter Robinson, 3LAU, Madeon, Zedd, as
well as Steerner & Tjernberg, who you'll be hearing more from later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment